CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Hollywood Women Tell Their #MeToo Stories

Variety: While a tsunami of women in Hollywood tweeted #metoo, the powerful hashtag didn’t give most the opportunity to tell their sexual harassment stories. Many women still fear that naming names will bring about career repercussions and potential legal action. With this piece, we decided to empower women to come forward only by identifying themselves and revealing their long-held secrets. Many of these stories took place when these women were starting their careers — young, naive, and powerless, they didn’t know who to tell. They didn’t want to lose their jobs. And while no one equated their harassment story with those who had been raped or assaulted, these incidents left their mark, and changed how these women function in an industry where sexual harassment is systemic.

2 comments:

Samantha Williams said...

Reading the experiences of these women has made me remember that I, unfortunately, have felt the same feeling of embarrassment, shame, and fear that they all have. A few years ago, a guy on the crew at my high school would constantly make uncomfortable comments towards me, and on more than one occasion I caught him with his cell phone camera pointed at my back while I was working on our shows. What I dealt with was significantly less serious than what other women have experiences, but the way he spoke to and treated me made me feel scared and powerless nonetheless. Though I have since found ways to cope with this kind of stuff internally, I still cannot see the best way to approach it outside of my head. The phrase “Me Too” absolutely means what it says. It has happened to almost every woman I know, and we all struggle with finding people in positions of power who care and take it seriously enough to make it stop.

Samantha Williams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.