CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 06, 2009

Fate of ‘Spider-Man’ Musical Could Be Determined on Friday

NYTimes.com: "The producers of the multimillion-dollar Broadway musical project “Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark,” have scheduled a meeting in Manhattan on Friday with the director Julie Taymor and other members of the creative team to discuss the future of the show, two executives involved in the production said Thursday. A spokesman for the producers confirmed the meeting but declined to discuss the agenda."

3 comments:

Robert said...

This is not great to hear that this show is taking another step back. I remember a few weeks ago about the show just needing to step back a little bit for funding. But since then it has seemed that the show has got in to worse shape and need more money fast. It just seems like this show will be amazing once they are able to open it. It just seems like this show will be counted to be pushed back and delayed and never get put to stage at the rate that it is going. So I hop that they open the show some time soon and I am able to go and see it.

Devorah said...

Ahh Spiderman the musical. I am shocked that they still havn't figured out how to make this happen. It seems like the longer they wait, the more money they waste. I know the producers and Ms. Taymor want everything to move forward but sometimes you have to bit the bullet. I am not sure investors are going to be able to make their money back on this show even if it opens on time. What a long and drawn out process this has all been. I wish the production luck but I am not holding my breath.

Kelli Sinclair said...

I think that this production would just be better off if they pushed back their Opening date and took the time to really form the show. To open a Broadway show in February when you haven't even started rehearsal is unrealistic. It takes ages to get tech, preview, and to open a show on Broadway. This show is also very technically heavy in the terms of flying effects for spider-man. I would be very interested to see what they do (if they ever opened).