CMU School of Drama


Sunday, March 29, 2009

CMU Drama Pre-College

So it is time once again for my grass-roots precollege recruiting program and I need your help. Could you please email theatre instructors, college counselors, and anyone you might still know at your high school that might, possibly, in the least bit be interested in coming to Pittsburgh for Drama Design/Tech Precollege this summer? That would be awesome!

Really I guess it can be for any of the Drama programs, I'm just particularly motivated to make sure we get a good class in DP.

You could send them links to these videos Don made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6AioyjvmiU


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ExngA15jmc

and you could definitely send them the link to the precollege admissions site:

http://www.cmu.edu/enrollment/pre-college/drama.html


Applications are accepted through June 1, but the more people that sign up earlier, the more of a program I can build. We typically committed to a program that includes:
  • Drafting
  • Basic Design
  • Lighting
  • Technical Production
  • Stagecraft
In the past we've also done things like:
  • Costumes
  • Scenic Art
  • Production Management
  • Stage Management
  • Lighting Technology
  • Sound Design
  • Storyology
and we've had workshops including:
  • Horror film Sound Design
  • Tye Dying
  • Moving Light Programming
  • Dinosaur Sculpture
  • Resume Writing & Interviewing
among many others. Really its all about the count, the more people we get, the more I can do.

It's also worth mentioning to people that to the best of my knowledge this is the only summer program that features a purpose built Design & Technical program with fully conceived courses and run by many of our regular year staff and faculty. It's just something that cannot be found at other schools. And as a footnote you could toss in that pretty nearly every year we admit students into our regular year Design & PTM program at the conclusion of their time with us in the summer - so they get to go back for their senior year already having been admitted to college.

You can also tell them that if they have questions they can contact me at dboevers@cmu.edu

actually I guess you don't have to write anything, you can just forward this email, thanks!

2 comments:

Katherine! said...

I do not have anyone to send this along to. I am, however, interested in what positions may be available to students as Teaching Assistants for the various courses taught over the summer, or in other ways students could assist.

Andrew said...

I sent this to all the folks of at my highschool, one of which may be interested in coming here for actual school. Hopefully they'll come here.

I really enjoyed the precollege experience and, of course, I give most credit to my being here for school now to those 6 weeks. So much fun, and I think it's a very good way of testing the waters of such an intense conservatory program anywhere. Pre-college was a blast!