CMU School of Drama


Monday, April 07, 2014

Top 20 Overused Movie Lines

ShortList Magazine:
Making films can't be easy. Lucky for script writers, there's always a cliché on hand if they ever get stuck...
"Bond. James Bond." "I'll be back." "Show me the money!" "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." "You talkin' to me?"
Done right, a well-crafted one-liner can outgrow its film and enter the annals of cinema, not to mention the vocabulary any well-versed film buff. But, if you're here hoping to find the next "Life is like a box of chocolates", we strongly advise you look elsewhere. This list's not about quality, it's all quantity.

3 comments:

clay said...

This is a pretty funny article. Its interesting to see all those altogether. You dont realize how often scripts can be the same or try to use the same effect in a line. Those are definitely some of the most famous lines in those movies. Cool, funny article.

Olivia LoVerde said...

Not only are these twenty lines over used in movies they are also overused in real life too. It is weird to see that sooo many movies will reuse popular lines across the board. Maybe because we have seen and heard people use these lines so many times is why they are terms that we have come to use in our daily life. These are lines that are well known and probably help to make a movie a little more relatable and people can connect it with other movies too.

Emily Bordelon said...

I think a good number of these could be considered "overused movie lines" but a few I would consider to be just things people say a lot. For example, "WE CAN DO THIS THE EASY WAY, OR THE HARD WAY", as seen, is in a good number of movies, but it's also something I've heard since I was little. It's just something people say, similar to "I WOULDN'T DO THAT IF I WERE YOU", or "GET OUTTA THERE!". Some though, are definitely movie lines, for example, "WE'VE GOT COMPANY!". Very few people say that without meaning to quote one of the movies in which it is said.