CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 17, 2014

Chatter from Shubert Alley: Will there be Five instead of Four???

The Producer's Perspective: For years I’ve been writing about my hope that the Tony Awards would relax their strict rules about the number of nominees for Best Musical and Best Play. It was back in 2010 that I first wondered if Broadway could have more than the perfunctory four nominees. And then, in 2012, I wrote about it again in my 3 Things Theater Can Learn from the Oscars blog, when the Oscars rewrote their rules and made the number of nominees flexible . . . any number between five and ten depending on how many the nominators felt were worthy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so exciting! I'm glad that they are finally altering the way they do things. It is really funny how the article said that the critics were just color commentary and the Nominators are what really count. Are the Nominators just empowered critics? They get to decide what show is considered "good" and what show is considered "unworthy." I had not known about the Oscars rules re-write, so I'm excited about that too! There are so many good things out there that it is only just to include multiple of them, especially when there are a bunch of different flavors.