CMU School of Drama


Monday, April 14, 2014

AutoCAD 2015: Ribbon Galleries

AutoCAD Insider: With each release of AutoCAD, the ribbon offers additional contextual tabs helping you access relevant tools with minimal effort. For example, when you select an attached object in the drawing such as an xref, image, or PDF file, a contextual ribbon tab displays tools to edit and manipulate that particular type of reference object. Similar contextual ribbon tabs are displayed for other objects, such as hatches, giving you the tools you need right at your fingertips.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It makes me more and more relieved that AutoCAD is moving towards a more visual input. I find it quite difficult to remember the ins and outs of all of the shortcuts and commands of AutoCAD, however I do see some bad sides to this change. This change is going to result in new users to remain the same speed in their CADing. While visual cues are helpful, they severely limit how fast one can navigate. Instead of just typing two or three letters, one has to go through a series of clicks and scrolls until the correct option is found.

Unknown said...

While I think enhanced visual input is great for new users, keyboard shortcuts will always be faster. While a pain to learn, I feel that basing your workflow around keyboard inputs is significantly more efficient. That being said, I have found it hard to adjust how I do things in AutoCad once I've learned a certain technique, even if somebody shows me how to do it faster.

It is frustrating to have to relearn a quicker technique after "mastering" it the first time. For example, when modeling in 3d, I always adjust my view by clicking on the icon in the top left and selecting Wireframe or Shaded with Edges, etc. I know its much faster for me to use the keyboard input for it, but it is really hard to break the habit of visual input!!