CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Legend of Zelda

2AMt: I was a lucky audience member for the Oct 26th SDC Zelda Fichandler Award presentation at Arena Stage (which was given, this year, to Blanka Zizka of Wilma Theater). I wanted to attend, in part, because I had just joined the stage directors and choreographers union a few weeks prior and, in part, to support Howard Shalwitz who was being recognized as the Distinguished Finalist. What I didn’t expect was an education in the significance of the early regional theatre movement and how its principals can guide the theatre of today in becoming a true force in our cultural landscape, once again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alright, I admit it. I clicked on that article because I thought it was about the video game. And I have my reasons. There's a new Zelda game coming out this year and I thought, "Maybe someone's doing a Legend of Zelda play?" Then, almost immediately, I thought, "Wow. That would make a REALLY CRAPPY play..."

But now that I've been suckered into reading it, read it I did. And now I'm almost a little more ashamed because, since I earned my Theatre Sea Legs in Washington, DC, I should really fucking know who Zelda Fichandler is. And while I think the author here isn't wrong - the term "non-profit" CAN be a negatively-connotated term - but I think there's a bigger picture he's hiding behind here.

"Embezzlement" still means you stole from someone else and calling it "Friendly Fire" doesn't mean we didn't just shoot any less of our own soldiers, so will calling it, "Social Profit" make anything you produce...better?

I suspect not.

You said yourself, Mr Dove, if you're not making money, then what is it you're trying to achieve? Call it whatever you wish - Sword or Pen - but I think it's what you DO with it that matters.