CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Julie Taymor, American

Esquire: She was a young American traveling through Indonesia when she almost fell into the abyss. She'd been told about an inspiring place, an active volcano that erupted every fifteen minutes. But to reach it and peer inside, she'd have to climb up the steep and dangerous side of a dead crater. So she did. And when she reached the precipice of the crater, she crawled along its rim, terrified, her knees gripping the sharp volcanic rock and her eyes focused on the path in front of her, until she reached the volcano's edge. She looked inside and saw lava boiling in the brightest, deepest shades of yellow and red she'd ever seen, and she no longer felt terrified at all. She felt wonder. And joy. And then she slipped. She righted herself quickly, but not before a piece of rock took out a chunk of her leg. She hobbled down to the nearest village, and even after suffering debilitating infections and permanent scarring, she didn't regret the climb. How else could she have known what was waiting for her inside the volcano?

2 comments:

Sonia said...

I have to say that I really had tried to not comment on any Spiderman articles, because I just couldnt stand it. However, Julie Taymor almost falling into a volcano was enough to draw me in. Then I happily realized it wasnt really about Spiderman. I also want to mention really quick how well this article is written, it makes it very intriguing.
Anyway, it is interesting to hear more about Taymor's work and life as a whole. Because she is amazing and an innovator. She has done so many things and lead such a great life that it makes it more intriguing to consider the Spiderman debacle. It is sad in a way that this had been a project she was working on for 9 nine years, and then in way it seems got thrown under the bus. I appreciated being able to get a little insight into Ms Taymor. I agree with the article that 'It requires, if anything, more courage to tell such a tale than to hear it' is a perfect way to describe Julie Taymor.

ZoeW said...

I love Julie Taymor I think she is a is inspirational and a truly unique designer. but I do feel like she is always on the side of a volcano and with Spiderman she fell in. She screwed up and then tried to justify it. It is really a shame though the rest of Taymor's career is inspirational not to mention that she is a strong woman who knows what she wants as a designer and I director. I am inspired by her and disgusted, but I think this article is correct she is an American she always goes big or she goes home.