CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Review: The Spidey Project

The Mary Sue: "What, exactly, should one expect from a Spider-Man musical? As a fan of Spider-Man, I have to say I was initially rather disheartened to hear that a big-budget Broadway musical based on Spider-Man was being produced, by Julie Taymor of all people, whose work in theater can not exactly be described as “bare bones.” And then Bono and The Edge … yeah, there was that, too. I mean, sure, that one song from Batman Forever was pretty cool (when I was 15), but a whole entire two hours or more of that? Weird. Super, super emo, if I’m being honest.

3 comments:

Elize said...

Yes! Theater is meant to be theatrical, not cinematic. The actors are in the same room with the audience and should be in on the same jokes with them. If the production itself is the joke the audience won't be willing to go on the ride with the characters. TOtD forgot the golden rule of theater, tell the story. Above all else tell the story.

Jackson said...

I think this is a good commentary on Spider-Man and how returning to the bare bones can produce quality even without allt he flashy flying scenes. Not to hit this topic again and again but I saw Spider-Man over spring break and I felt that the story was too convoluted and boring and that they should almost consider starting from scratch and that they could take some lessons from the Spidey Project and that they should really focus on improving the bare bones so that would compliment the awesome spectacle that they have created.

MaryL said...

This is truly fantastic. This is hoe I believe theater should be done. It's about story and having fun not how much money you can throw at it. I wish I could have seen this. It reminds me on everything we do here at Carnegie Mellon for Playground. Those productions have no budget and such little time to rehearse and so many of them are great. Funny, powerful, thought provoking you name it. All in all hats off to The Spidey Project. You Guys are great to remind us what theater is all about, and maybe remind the Spiderman on Broadway too.