CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, December 05, 2018

TOP 10 museums and cultural venues of 2018

www.designboom.com: 2018 saw the opening of several much-anticipated museums and cultural centers around the world. bold designs characterize the buildings, as established names in the field of architecture have collaborated with some of the biggest cultural institutions across the globe to bring their creative visions to life. stretching out into dundee’s river tay, kengo kuma’s geometric V&A dundee museum is inspired by scotland’s dramatic cliffs, while álvaro siza designed a series of concrete structures for an arts complex in south korea.

2 comments:

JinAh Lee said...

The article introduces 10 new cultural venues around the world that were built with innovative and dramatic design. Many of them are museums, galleries, or art centers that seem to serve the community. I love when art venues are beautiful. One of the smallest reasons why I decided to work for the entertainment industry could be the beautiful architecture. Although right now I usually enter through the hidden stage door in the back of the buildings, and head straight to the basement or backstage, just knowing that I am in a beautiful buildings can sometimes make me satisfied. But I sometimes wonder what it means to be spending so much money on the outside look of the buildings. Sometimes when the building is too gorgeous, it can overwhelm visitors. And when the building design is too overwhelming, it can discourage average people from entering freely. Then, that beats the purpose of serving the community. I’m sure that architects have already taken this into consideration though.

Lauren Sousa said...

It’s always nice too see more cultural institutions coming into being around the world because I feel as if more frequently, we hear about cultural institutions closing than opening up. These are the top of the line institutions as well. Obviously, we only get a small amount of information in the articles but the pictures for me are the best part. The architecture of these places is absolutely stunning which does make a lot of sense when it comes to cultural institutions. There is a need for them to inspire beauty and imagination and I believe all of these buildings serve this purpose in ways that are unique from one another. I have always found the evolution of architecture so fascinating and I’m sure looking at the worlds top cultural centers through the years would provide insight on the values and techniques of the regional as well as any other method I could think of.