CMU School of Drama


Friday, December 07, 2018

Review Roundup: Critics Weigh In On Menier Chocolate Factory's Revival Of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

www.broadwayworld.com: This joyous and heart-breaking story of the travails of Tevye the milkman, his wife and five daughters features such classic songs as "Sunrise, Sunset," "If I Were a Rich Man" and "Matchmaker, Matchmaker" and remains a heart-warming celebration To Life - L'chaim!

The first London production of Fiddler on the Roof opened in February 1967 at Her Majesty's Theatre; and the most recent London production opened in May 2007 at the Savoy Theatre with Henry Goodman as Tevye.

1 comment:

Sarah Battaglia said...

A couple years ago when the broadway revival was still up all the women in my family went to go see Fiddler together as a present to my grandmother who is Jewish. I think in these trying times and in a county where anti-semitism is rampant we have to keep doing art that highlights and humanizes the jewish experience. I truly believe that the cause of hate is ignorance and that if everyone listened a little more and we all worked off of facts we could learn to understand each other. Fiddler is a beautiful show and it always makes me happy to be who I am and know where my great grandparents I came from which is similar to that of the characters in the show. Critics will say what they will and this is a good analyzation of the show but regardless of what critics have to say shows like this are always good to do, and are always important to bring to new audiences.