CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Total Structures Truss, Hoist, Rigging, and Outdoor Structure Workshop Set for January 2017

Lighting&Sound America Online - News: Total Structures announces its latest training event which will be held in Ventura, California, during the month of January.

This five day ETCP recognized workshop will include instruction and advice on the safe use of outdoor structures as well as an explanation of the American National Standards ANSI E1.21 - 2013 (Entertainment Technology - Temporary Structures Used for Technical Production of Outdoor Entertainment Events) and ANSI E1.2 - 2012 (Entertainment Technology - Design, Manufacture and Use of Aluminum Trusses and Towers). The third day of the workshop will focus on teaching the attendee how to safely operate and manage the complete range of Pointman electric chain hoists with the final two days focused on rigging related instruction.

1 comment:

Chris Norville said...

I would really like to go to this workshop. I have always wanted to learn more about the actual structural engineering and design of truss. I know how a truss works in general, but would like a more rigorous education in the actual design of the structure. Knowing that it works because of triangles is not enough sometimes. In addition to knowing more about how the design happens, having a more specific knowledge of conditions in which I can use truss safely would be good. Having a span table for how much it can hold given a standard configuration is only helpful some of the time, most of the time, I find that I am supporting truss from odd configurations and loading it eccentrically. Even if a span table tells me how many pounds I can put on it every foot if it is supported every so often, it cant tell me how much torque I can put across the axis, or how much internal force I can put in it, what if I need my truss to be a beam, column and a shaft at the same time?