CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Amy Carr: On Tour With Phil Vassar

Concerts content from Live Design Magazine: What tour are you working on now and what is your job title... and what does that mean you are doing on a day-to-day basis in terms of the tour?
I am the lighting director for Phil Vassar. I run the load in, program, and operate the show. Aside from some stylistic input from the artist, I have a lot of creative freedom to design the show as well. It's a very dynamic performance so I enjoy making design choices that keep up with the changes in the production.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoy articles like these. As an aspiring concert lighting designer I want to learn as much as I possibly can. It's awesome that she enjoys what she is doing so much which is ultimately the reason I am sitting at Carnegie Mellon today. I hope that in a few years I can begin touring with a band and building my career to be everything I have always dreamed it would be.

Mike Vultaggio said...

I think that this article is awesome article to read not only for aspiring lighting designers but for anybody looking into getting into concert work. As a sound designer I found it very interesting just how much this lighting director was able to do with just a few moving lights and whatever she could get from each of the road houses that she went to, what is that, one truck? It's common for tours that are this scale to take up huge amounts of trucks carrying tons of equipment. I also found that the advice she gave the readers of the article is very valuable for anybody in the business.