CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 04, 2013

RSC annual turnover rises to £62 million thanks to Matilda effect

Theatre News - 25 Oct 2013: Following last week's strong reviews for David Tennant in Richard II, there's more good news today for the Royal Shakespeare Company as it publishes its annual report for its 2012/13 financial year. The results – covering the period from April 2012 to March 2013, just ahead of the full artistic director transition from Michael Boyd to Gregory Doran – show the company in rude good health, thanks in large part to the ongoing Matilda effect.

1 comment:

Adelaide Zhang said...

Earlier in the year I got the chance to see Matilda on Broadway. I thought it was a pretty good show, and even more impressive because of the set design and the youth of many of the actors. I had been a little bit tentative about seeing the show beforehand since adaptations don't always work out well, but I think all in all the writers did do a pretty good job. I'd be curious to know more specifically how much of RSC's revenue came from that show especially since Shakespeare is not known for his huge popularity with modern audiences. I wonder also if it's a sustainable system -- obviously before Matilda the RSC was still able to keep itself up, but I wonder if they plan in the future to produce more shows with bigger names.