CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Quantum Theatre finds mysterious space for its 'Parlour Song'

TribLIVE: When Quantum Theatre artistic director Karla Boos went shopping for a space to stage “Parlour Song,” she had a long list of expectations.

“I looked for a sleek, contemporary, commercial space; a place that had been put in place of what was once a natural landscape with a created world on top of that,” she says.

Heat, electrical power and working bathrooms were also on the wish list.

2 comments:

Keith Kelly said...

I personally love site specific theatre and I can't wait to see Alice in Bed on Friday. Who would have thought to stage a performance in an abandoned restaurant? I think its such an interesting concept and sets a mood that a theatre would never be able to achieve. The only problem I have with site specific/experimental theatre is the transitions between scenes and acts. I find audience movement very distracting and not ideal for theatre. Moving around the set with the actors is a strange concept that can only be effective if done correctly. I wouldn't want to constantly be looking around another persons body when trying to focus on the actors. I enjoy shows were I forget I'm sitting with 400 other people and I can just have my own connection and interpretation of what I'm watching without being distracted from other audience members. I can't wait to see how Alice in Bed turns out and if they audience movement will be distracting.

Albert Cisneros said...

Having just been on run crew for Alice in Bed, I have earned a new level of appreciation for site specific theater. Performing in a space other than a theater house presents so many new challenges that most people don't even imagine running into. I know that Quantum theater strives to produce experimental shows that push the boundaries of live theater, and what better place to see a show than the mall. I would love to see Parlour Song, mostly to see how Quantum deals with the challenges of a new and different space.