CMU School of Drama


Friday, December 28, 2018

Why High School Musicals Should Be As Respected As Sports Programs Are

www.theodysseyonline.com: When I was in middle school and high school, I felt like I lived for the musicals that my school orchestrated.

For those of you who don't know, a musical is an onstage performance wherein actors take on roles that involve singing, and often dancing, to progress the plot of the story. While it may sound a little bit nerdy to get up in front of an audience to perform in this manner, this is something you cannot knock until you try it.

1 comment:

Annika Evens said...

I spent much of my high school years fighting for the theater program in my town to be given facilities and funding just as the sports programs were, so of course, I believe with everything this article is saying. Although I think there is so much more to the reasons why high school musicals and all theatre for that matter should be much more respected by other students and by adults. I think this article does a good job focusing on how much work actors put into a show and how challenging and demanding it is. What I think this article fails to mention are the benefits of being part of a show on a student’s emotional health, which I have always found to be one of the most important parts of my theatre. I think theatre builds a supportive and collaborative community like no other which is very beneficial for children and adults of all ages. I also think this article failed to mention how high school theatre programs should also be respected for how much work goes into them from the behind the scenes side of things. I think high school theatres give students who feel there isn’t a place for them to belong, that place. No matter what it is they are doing. High School theaters also allow students to learn so much about all different aspects of theatre, about themselves and about the world, which I wish the author mentioned.