CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 17, 2015

Three Sisters at Carnegie Mellon School of Drama

Theater Reviews + Features | Pittsburgh City Paper: Because I've left such a long paper trail on the subject, there's no point in trying to deny it — Anton Chekhov's Three Sisters is my least favorite play ever written. It concerns the eponymous troika of dames who, at the turn of the 20th century, are anxious to leave their small Russian town and move back to Moscow (which they'd left 11 years earlier). Events conspire to keep them from relocating, and by the end of the evening their lives have been ground down to near nothing. My reaction has always been, "Get on the damned train already and go to Moscow. Better yet, get under it."

So jump-cut to me driving home from the recent Carnegie Mellon School of Drama production of Three Sisters enchanted by what I'd just seen. What the hell happened?

1 comment:

Sasha Mieles said...

I have to completely agree with this article in every respect. I absolutely hate the play Three Sisters after reading it in Foundations 2. I couldn’t stand the play and the fact that the damn girls never went to Moscow. It just wanted the play to end, but it being 4 acts made me want to puke my guts out.
From what I heard, Three Sisters is such a wonderful production and it is one of the best main stage shows that we have done. I was told the Three Sisters rivals Seven Guitars in its excellence. I am very excited to film the show for my media call and see the show for all that I’ve heard about it.
I worked a lot on the costumes for the show and making historically accurate pieces was extremely hard, but very interesting and mind blowing to learn. I am blown away from what I know about the show right now.