CMU School of Drama


Saturday, April 11, 2015

Quantum Theatre drafts collaborator Barbara Luderowski, of the Mattress Factory, to adapt a Nobel-winning novel

Theater Reviews + Features | Pittsburgh City Paper: Ever since she staged Knives in Hens in the Mattress Factory's basement, in 1998, Quantum Theatre's Karla Boos has considered the North Side museum's founder, Barbara Luderowski, a mentor. Seventeen years later, the two are collaborating on Quantum's new show — an immersive adaptation of Portuguese novelist José Saramago's Nobel Prize-winning All the Names.

1 comment:

Aleyse Shannon said...

I saw this show and I must say I left confused as to the importance of the story. This article fancies this show as part (Kafka), but I am sure Franz Kafka would even be thrown off by this show's endeavor towards existentialism. I did not mind leaving the theater confused by what happened in the text, nor why certain things happened. I did not mind that at all. I did mind the lack of urgency and vitality throughout the show. At least in Metamorphosis, the life of a suddenly changed cockroach is compelling. This said, I can clearly see the existential tenants of absurdity, uncertainty, anxiety, and the idea of existence before essence in this show. Something was lost, however, in the stakes of this show. (though it was disguised well by its immersive nature). 54-102 <54-102> 54-102 :: A