CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Broadway Star Kelli O'Hara on Maintaining Self-Worth in a Male-Dominated Industry

Women and Hollywood: You know how when you’re applying to college people always ask you those cliché questions like, “What is a moment that changed your life?” and you think they have to be really big and grand answers like about death or international travel? Then you get older and finally have some real answers, only nobody ever asks anymore. Well, here is a real answer that took place one night a few years ago with Kelli O’Hara in a Lower East Side bar with me dressed as a piñata.

1 comment:

Sarah Battaglia said...

I think it's really interesting that Kelli O'Hara is talking about this subject because it is something that I have struggled with a lot as a woman in the work place. A lot of times, I find that as a woman in a male dominated industry I have a hard time finding what my self worth is, and what my place in whatever career I choose will be. Often I find that women have a hard time seeing what they are worth, because the world has not told them that they are worth something. When I was in 6th grade my principal told my mom that I would never need to work a day in my life if I kept smiling like I did. That automatically makes any work that I do seem worthless because I am a woman, or because I was "pretty". Men's self worth is determined solely on their work performance or how smart they are, and for me it matters more if I look good while I doing the work or if I have a happy attitude rather than whether I do it well. I am really happy that we are starting to have the conversation, because lack of equal rights doesn't just give women a disadvantage fiscally it consistently reminds them that they are not good enough, and that it damaging to self esteem in a way that I imagine men do not understand.