CMU School of Drama


Friday, February 15, 2013

Stage review: Quantum's staging fits melodrama of this Ibsen

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Thinking back, I can't tell you so much about the matter of the play as I want to sing the praises of its manner. Sure, it's Ibsen, so there is serious matter. "John Gabriel Borkman" is about the megalomania of grand intent and the conflict between ambition and love. The eponymous hero is a flawed Ayn Rand capitalist (rather redundant, that), besotted by power. From one point of view, this is a tragedy of defiance, a "Faustus" or "Timon of Athens" of the middle class.

1 comment:

K G said...

I took a really long, beautiful nap during this play. Now, I could spend longer than I frankly want to on this comment discussing what I know about Quantum in all its politics and philosophies, which is a lot, but I won't do that. I'll just leave an ambiguous "I worked there and it was a unique time." In that, I CAN say that I am unsure of how the productions seem to always get flawless reviews with not even a taste of criticism. This text in itself is a snoozefest where not very much happens, so there's a bad place to start. The spaces themselves usually turn out beautifully and this one was no exception, so there's a good place to start. The production team is dedicated, and has some strange things to grapple with; they're great people. I'm just saying that I'd like to read a review that seems a little more honest.