CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Donyale Werle to Speak at USITT 2013

Stage Directions: Tony Award-winning scenic designer Donyale Werle will speak at the upcoming USITT conference in Milwaukee on the subject of making Broadway more environmentally friendly. Werle, who is the pre-production co-chair of the Broadway Green Alliance, is committed to making theatre a “greener” practice, and uses salvaged materials in her sets and designs. Her set for Peter and the Starcatcher, for which she won a Tony, was made entirely of recycled materials. She will speak on Saturday, March 23.

1 comment:

Camille Rohrlich said...

Theater is a very wasteful industry, and this is something that has been bothering me for a while. I remember when I decided to pursue a career in theater, I thought "This is the best thing I could possibly do, except that I will have to live with the idea that everything I work on is very wasteful and the exact opposite of environmentally friendly". I'm very happy to see that theater professionals consider this issue important enough for it to be discussed at USITT. Werle speaking at the conference is a very positive thing, and will be sure to create more awareness for the Broadway Green Alliance.