CMU School of Drama


Friday, March 25, 2011

Five year Civil War theater project begins at City Lit

WBEZ: "City Lit Theater has just announced a fascinating project--a five-year commemoration of the Civil War, leading up to the 150th anniversary of the war's end in 2015.
Yes, I know the war didn't end in 2015, you misplaced-modifier hawks. In fact, the Civil War didn't end at all: what do you think those Tea Party people are on about? That's what makes the City Lit project so gripping: that its exploration of the themes of the Civil War are necessarily conversations about the nation--or nations--we live in today.

1 comment:

emilyannegibson said...

What an interesting concept! Of course, I'm a history nut, so I love this. (I also, incidentally, love the writing style of this article.) I like that it seems there was quite a bit of thought put into this project, and that the idea is drenched in history but still relevant, which is the idea of theatre, I think. It isn't condemned to the period in which it was written if it's good drama. I'd be interested in what kind of events they might host around this project. It would be a great opportunity to create a dialectic and foster the conversation.