CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, June 26, 2018

We Need Theatre to Exist, and Maybe Research Can Prove Its Necessity

HowlRound Theatre Commons: Is theatre necessary? This is an age-old question. It is so old that perhaps, at times, we grow tired of asking it. We shouldn’t. In its answer lies the Holy Grail. Proving theatre necessary to the mechanical function of the human body might lead to a renaissance in its funding, attendance, and growth. Imagine a world in which theatre practitioners, when asked why theatre should be funded, could answer definitively, “Because it is necessary to human life.” Perhaps that world is not as far away as it seems.

1 comment:

DeKlyen said...

“We Need Theatre to Exist” makes a very intriguing argument relating to the necessity of theatre, which I, for one, am excited about. Before reading this article, I heard the age old moto of theatre being the basis of our society and being the truest art of storytelling, a key element dividing us from the rest of the animal kingdom. I knew that held high merit and I still totally believe in that, but the ability to prove that theatre is necessary will be instrumental in developing theatre forwards. If the NEA does find evidence that theatre is critical for our society, than I feel like theatre may be perceived differently and hopefully increase the funding for schools and theatres around the country. I am very curious into where this research projects will go and the advances they will take. I will have to make sure I stay updated about this topic in the future.