CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 02, 2016

SDCF Accepting Applications to Observership Program

Stage Directions: The Stage Directors and Choreographers Foundation (SDCF) Observership Program provides early to mid-career directors and choreographers paid opportunities to observe the work of master directors and choreographers, from first rehearsal to opening night. The Observership Program is also a gateway to other SDCF programs, including other fellowships and networking events. A link to application after the jump.

1 comment:

Emma Reichard said...

While I’m not a stage director or choreographer, this article really piqued my interest. I’m currently on the summer internship hunt (like many of my fellow DP’s) and there’s something I keep noticing about the internship pages for the theatre companies I’m looking at. They mostly offer internships in arts administration. The vast majority of theatre companies are looking for engagement, general management, marketing, and other administration based interns. Then of course, follows the technical interns at second highest frequency. On occasion I see information about acting interns (or the equivalent of an acting internship) and literary interns (which I’ve been told can equate to dramaturgy). I almost never see directing-based internships that are geared toward undergrads. And I’ve always wondered, what do the non-DP’s do? Maybe I’m just missing the majority of the opportunities offered them because I’m focused on finding my own, but it seems really strange. And the few opportunities I see pop up are geared for graduate or graduated artists, not summer internships for undergrads. I’m glad there are opportunities like this to be able to observe master directors and choreographers at work.