CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 15, 2015

New Play Focuses on Pittsburgh Steelers Great

Pittsburgh Magazine - September 2015 - Pittsburgh, PA: His high-school football team went undefeated. His college team won the national championship. His NFL team won four Super Bowls in six years.

But Rocky Bleier, the former running back for the Pittsburgh Steelers, says the greatest game he ever played was against a neighbor in Appleton, Wis., when he was 9 years old.

“I scored 51 touchdowns,” Bleier recalls with pride. “It was a game of not only immense skill and will on my part, but I knew my opponent’s weakness … and his weakness was that he was 5.”

1 comment:

Paula Halpern said...

So when I started reading this article, I was not only unbelievably skeptical, but also kind of terrified for the aftermath of such a terrible idea for a sports player doing a show going wrong. But as I heard quotes from him, and hearing more and more about his story, it made so much more sense to me about why this needed to be a show. From what the article described about his life, his story is just the plot of a play waiting to happen. The more I look at this the more I think how sports players don't get the representation they deserve when it comes to the world of entertainment. So many of them came from low socioeconomic backgrounds, and were able to get them and their family out of trouble though their talent. Although this specific athlete has a much broader and more interesting story than our stereotypical athletic example, it just proves that stories like these need more attention. Also it could help significantly in reaching a broader audience.