CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Your Friendly Neighborhood Theatrical Tell-All

Howard Sherman: It’s not unusual for book releases to be coordinated with a related event taking place elsewhere in the media circus: the autobiography that appears just as a star’s major film is coming out, the personal memoir that primes the public for a political campaign. However, no one can accuse Julie Taymor of engaging in such wanton promotion – she certainly can’t be pleased that Glen Berger’s Song of Spider-Man: The Inside Story of the Most Controversial Musical in Broadway History (Simon & Schuster, $25) debuts just as she returns to the stage with A Midsummer Night’s Dream at Theatre for a New Audience in Brooklyn. One imagines she’d have been happier if there were no book at all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been a big supporter of the Spiderman musical, and I wished with all my heart that they would find some way for it to work out. I thought that they were trying too hard to make it real when they should have just settled for something simple. A lot of the injuries could have been avoided with proper safety precautions. I agree with the author of this article that the book was just a way to milk more money off of the musical. No one wants to read about how much the single guy struggled with his "lower class" status. The show is what it is, and he should have let it go out peacefully instead of shaming it in that way. I feel like he took a dying show and made it worse.

Timothy S said...

This is interesting. I always find it odd when a book comes out so close to sore spot of a issue or event. I would wonder how the company feels about these stories getting out about their show. I am so confused as to why and how they got their information. I would be interested to see if anyone is gonna get sued over the information the released to make this book because I am sure some of it has a negative vibe on someone within the company.