CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 05, 2013

The Sex with Robots Festival Explained

Theaterspeak: The SEX WITH ROBOTS Festival, which opens November 5th, at the Secret Theater in Long Island City, was the brainbot of actor/playwright Danny Bowes and playwright Natalie Zutter.

"They started talking about doing a one-act play festival about sex with robots maybe a year or so ago," says playwright and festival co-producer, Mariah MacCarthy, "and then Danny approached me with it because I do plays that are often about sex. I responded to his first email with one word: "OBVIOUSLY."

3 comments:

Camille Rohrlich said...

I wish I could go to this festival! I think that this is such a cool way to re-invent the dialogue on the advance of technology in our lives, the humanity of futuristic AI entities. It's interesting to see that despite all the technological advances and discoveries that have been made in the past however-many years, one of the things that still obsesses us the most is human-like robots. They are now a reality, making the discussion evermore relevant. Are robots with whom we can hold conversations and have sex (?) still just robots, and how do they affect our own humanity, whatever that may be?
I'd love to see how those playwrights handled these themes and topics.

Unknown said...

This is a cool direction to go in. The topic here could either be very funny or dark (but still kind of funny) while still getting across the messages the playwrights want. But the interesting part for me comes in when the robots are actually robots. I wonder how many of the robots portrayed are human, and whether or not they need to be. It depends ont he staging, but I would bet a lot of what happens on those stages could be done by robots. It would be a lot cooler if this was in Pittsburgh, I am so curious now.

Unknown said...

Such an amazingly eye catching title. If that was the purpose behind it, it certainly did its job well. This kind of festival to me is one step above fringe, I think its wonderful that a fairly well established theater can put on this kind of new and edgy work. I only wish it were in Pittsburgh.