CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Evolving Conversation About Women Directors

Forbes: Last week I attended the first conference ever held in Israel to discuss the status of women working in the film and television industries. They had brilliant academics, high level executives in TV, international guests and they had something I don’t usually see at these types of events – politicians. The conference closed with Member of Parliament, outspoken feminist, Merav Michaeli and began with Minister of Culture and Sport, Limor Livnat. In addition, the Swedish Ambassador to Israel Carl Magnus Nesser also addressed the crowd of filmmakers and executives among other insiders in the business. I’m sure you are wondering what the Swedish Ambassador has to do with women working in TV and film in Israel. The answer is that Sweden is at the forefront of pushing the conversation on gender equity related to women directors and filmmakers.

1 comment:

K G said...

Feminism is so trendy right now. Over the past year or so, I have seen a distinct rise in the talk about gender bias and gender equality. I understand where people are coming from with this, but I don't know if it is something I have personally experienced. I don't, and never really have been, treated in a notably disparate way in my work because I am a woman. So it's always strange for me to here that there's such a lack of funding and support for females, particularly in the entertainment industry. On top of this, a large number of directors currently attending Carnegie Mellon are females. Women who have graduated from here as directors have had success in the industry. And I don't often here complaints of it being difficult to find work for gender reasons. I sympathize with the cause, but I do wonder about the actual scope of the problem.