CMU School of Drama


Saturday, April 13, 2013

Stage preview: Quantum turns former Park Schenley into surrealist setting for Jon Fosse drama

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: In any discussion of Jon Fosse's "Dream of Autumn," begin by eliminating words such as "linear" and "literal." The words are simple and the emotions evident, but time and place are more conceptual than concrete. Names? Who needs names? Characters are referred to as Woman, Man and Mother. Quantum Theatre's route to "Autumn" for spring 2013 came when Karla Boos, founder and producer of the company, saw a lavishly produced adaptation in Paris. Although her French isn't fluent, she felt a deep connection to the abstract drama and was compelled not only to bring it home to Pittsburgh but also to make it a vehicle for her return to acting. Ms. Boos plays the Woman in the lyrical, adult drama, which centers on the graveyard encounter of former lovers.

4 comments:

rmarkowi said...

I know a lot of the faculty was working on this show, and sadly I didn't get to see it. It sounded really cool though; I had heard about Jon Fosse, and I had heard his shows were really interesting, but his shows are not very popular in America. And I'm sure if Quantum was doing it, though, it was amazing. One day, I'll be able to leave SOD and see one of their shows!

Jason Lewis said...

I was fortunate enough to go see this play with my passport to the arts class with narelle as my professor for the section in which we went to go see the production. I'm not really sure I felt the whole parisian feel that karla had been hoping for, but I definitely felt a city like graveyard feeling, even though the graveyard was furniture with sand matching the concrete floors. I think the overall production, including acting, costumes, lighting, sound, set, everything just blended very nicely. It was a very unique space and a very unique show that kept me thinking more about what it was after the show than while watching. Talking with Narelle about it in class also helped with the understanding because we talked about how even though this show is a fractured show you shouldnt try to connect everything right away and make it linear. That's how I took it as I watched and it was honestly a really interesting way to view the production and a great way to think about shows similar to that, especially when they are abstract as well.

Hunter said...

I got the chance to see this show as a part of my passport to the arts class, so not only did i watch it but the class also discussed the show with Narelle, one of the main designers on the show. The show itself was hard to follow during the performance but came together while contemplating it afterwards. It was beautifully designed and was a unique and interesting piece to perform.

AlexxxGraceee said...

i had to see this show for a class and was super supprised by how much i enjoyed it. i thought every CMU aspect of the show was just amazing. I know Nerelle was the set and costume disigner and i had the privalege of hearing her talk about her design process and everything from chooseing the space to chosein ghow to makew a grave yard not a grave yard was also very interesting. i t hought that the play its self at first was very confuseing and i didnt nessicarally get it but it left me thinking and after i thought about it for a wel it reallt started to make since for me.