CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 04, 2013

Natalie Khuen Wins 2013 Rose Brand Scenic Design Scholarship

Stage Directions: Natalie Khuen, a theatre design student at the University of California, San Diego, has won the 2013 Rose Brand Scenic Design Scholarship. Khuen’s professor described her as “having boundless imagination and intelligence,” and a panel of celebrity judges, including such people as Tony Award-winner Donyale Werle, chose her as the winner. As the 2013 Rose Brand Scenic Design Scholarship winner Khuen will receive a $5,000 scholarship and her school will receive a $2,500 credit at Rose Brand.

2 comments:

E Young Choi said...

I think looking at all those award-recipient is very amazing. Nowadays, because of USITT, I have seen so many fortunate winners in this blog and that inspires me to work harder for higher goal. I think this particular award is very worthy and honorable since not only a student is honored for her/his boundless imagination and creativity, but also her/his school is credited with award. I think this news will definitely inspire other students who aspire to be a scenic designer like me to have more endeavor. I feel like USITT has such an amazing program that helps future designers. I hope these programs continue and encourage more and more designers with potentiality.

Ariel Beach-Westmoreland said...

Whenever sites post articles about the winners of design scholarships or awards, I really wish they also provided images of the students' portfolios. In addition to being an interesting supplement for the viewers - I'm sure potential employers would also like to get a look at the winner's examples. Posting the student's work could only help the student.

Then again I wonder about who owns the work. Since the student submitted it to the company, is it now the student's property or the company's? The company might be hesitant to post what is now their work online.