CMU School of Drama


Monday, August 29, 2011

My 12 Biggest Freelancing Fears That Didn’t Come True

FreelanceFolder: Fear kept me from freelancing for a long time.
Colleagues and even acquaintances would comment on how my skills were perfect for becoming a freelancer and still I hesitated. I just “knew” something major and bad would happen if I left my comfortable corporate job for the uncertainty of freelancing.
Well, it turns out that I was wrong about something bad happening. I’ve been freelancing for over nine years now. Most of my biggest fears never came true at all.

2 comments:

njwisniewski said...

I can definitely relate to this article as a whole. My passion is the arts, both visual and theatrical, and I cannot see myself doing anything else with my life other than creating more of it. However, I feel that with such a decision to pursue something in the field of arts there comes a common anxiety: the uncertainty over whether or not your passion can be a realistic way to support you in the long run. Therefor the idea of not only trying to make a living out of such a changing field, but by doing it independently, through freelancing, creates a lot of real, undeniable fears. I think the most important thing to do, like with any fear, would be to overcome it- and to not let this given nervousness skew your ability to really go for it and jump into a lifestyle that might truly suit you.

Dale said...

Not only did list contain ALL of my fears, it also had new items that I did not think of that NOW I fear as well. This article did a great job of listing fears but did little to appease them. It was a little too much, "it will all work out" for my taste. Freelanceing is a tough gig that requires a lot of self motivation and honestly there are scores of quality people that do NOT make it. This article was far from comforting.