CMU School of Drama


Saturday, September 13, 2014

Fein MultiMaster FMM 350 Q Review

Pro Tool Reviews: Bigger. Faster. Stronger. Have you ever noticed that every year, car companies use the same words to describe their new models? Words like sleeker, faster, efficient, aerodynamic, etc. When they say this year after year, it makes me wonder why they didn’t just skip the last 10 revisions and jump straight to the “sleekest.” It’s kind of like men’s shaving razors. First, they started off with one simple razor, then they added a second. Now, we are up to 5 razors that pivot and vibrate to give you the “closest shave ever”—at least until next year when they add 2 more razors.

2 comments:

David Feldsberg said...

Put me down for 10.

Oscillating tools are, in my opinion, the most underrated tool in the entire toolbox. Last year while loading in two shows at the warehouse, the Fein oscillating tool was my best friend. Quick and easy cuts are made with minimal noise and disturbance. This is why I am so excited to hear about all the changes!

Excessive vibrations, as we learned in 30-Hour OSHA, can be a serious work hazard. Studies have even linked prolonged exposure to acute vibrations to future arthritis. So to read that Fein took extra care to reduce noise and vibrations is a relief! There is nothing worse than putting down an oscillating after a long day and having to wait for your arm to stop vibrating.

Overall, I agree wholeheartedly with the reviewer. In the modern age in which we live in where companies are obsessed with cost analysis and efficiency, that there is still a manufacturer that listens to its customers and takes their suggestions seriously.

Unknown said...

I used the Fein saw with great frequency this summer, and I have to say it quickly became one of my favorite tools in the shop. It's ability to get in and make small quick cuts with minimal setup or hassle was unparalleled. The only complaint I had with the tool was the serious vibrations that occurred when you had to make a cut.

That being said, I am very excited for this new tool, especially if the vibrations have been as significantly reduced as they claim. Furthermore, the extra 100 watts of power must be nice to making more serious cuts than before. Hopefully, I can buy one in the near future..