CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 31, 2014

The Most Important Lessons in Woodworking

Popular Woodworking Magazine: Learning woodworking isn’t just about “how to” do something. A good example of this comes from my days as an apprentice in a commercial cabinet shop. I entered the experience with a misguided, romantic notion of working beside an experienced craftsman and being tutored in the fine points of cabinetmaking. I figured I would be coached and guided as my skills developed. That type of experience may exist in old books or in woodworking schools, but the real world is quite a bit different.

1 comment:

Philip Rheinheimer said...

Work smarter, not harder is the motto in pretty much every shop because it's a really good one. This is especially when working in a shop where profit is the top priority. There is always a way to make every process more efficient. But I don't necessarily agree that the most efficient way is always the most fun. There are some processes that are more complicated and time consuming that are actually more fun than the more efficient ones. That being said, efficiency is usually better.