CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 12, 2014

London fashion show harnesses technology to deliver virtual experience

InAVate: This February's London Fashion Week saw UK retailer Topshop turn to telepresence to transport shoppers in its central London flagship store across the city and immerse them in a fashion show taking place in the Tate Modern's Turbine Hall. Topshop partnered with 3D design agency Inition to live stream events from the London art gallery and deliver a "virtual front-row" experience to participants at the Oxford Street, London shop.

2 comments:

AeonX8 said...

You had me at Tate Modern Turbine Hall. Drool. I want to believe, but I am skeptical the virtual reality level of immersion employed by Topshop would really make me feel I was having a “virtual front-row experience” at London Fashion Week. I imagine VR has come a long way since the 90s, but I would have to try for myself. The short promo video does not do much to make the user experience seem more than a gimmick. The main draw for resuscitating VR in this context is the Inition’s claim of “the world’s first live stream in virtual reality” (from the video). I am less interested in the live stream aspect and more excited at the prospect of turning my living room into the Turbine Hall.

Sabria Trotter said...

I think this is pretty cool, of course it is kind of gimmicky, but overall has the possibility to be a great experience. I wonder how realistic the view truly is. I'm sure being able to pan has a great effect, I wish there was more about about that capability and the rest of the technology in the article.