CMU School of Drama


Thursday, June 27, 2013

IATSE settles dispute over 'All My Children,' 'One Life to Live'

latimes.com: In true soap opera fashion, several locals of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees union have kissed and made up with Prospect Park, a production firm behind online versions of "All My Children" and "One Life to Live." Production of the Web soaps was abruptly halted earlier this month amid a dispute over payment rates to union members. IATSE represents crew members.

1 comment:

Nikki Baltzer said...

Now I know that Prospect Park moved the show to Connecticut because of the tax breaks and because they could get the best deals for their production crew from the Unions. As a die heart fan of the show, I feel like Prospect Park needs to do whatever they can to keep the showing going because I love it and it is a guilty pleasure of mine that I'm not really ashamed to like, but its hard to find people of my generation who are as passionate about soaps as I am. When they think of soap operas, they probably think of that over dramatic show where their is a plot twist every five minutes with the cheesy suspense music and tight close up that their grandmother loved to watch. Growing up with my mom watching the show and taping episodes on her VHS, to now watching it with with her online anytime I know a lot has changed. People of my generation need to wake up and understand that the show has changed to. The fact that it is online and has a group of teenage cast members and plot lines are meant to attract people my age. The shows are a lot like theater in that they take all these different issues that face our world today and put them in characters plot lines where we get to sit back and watch for entertainment but also get us to think and look. Now all that said, I am still a techie too and feel that the company Prospect Park needs to treat all parties that help make the show possible and profitable need to be treated with respect. A happy machine is a well functioning machine.