CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 12, 2013

Review: 'Book of Mormon' lives up to the hype in Pittsburgh tour stop

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Each time it has been wondered aloud if the "The Book of Mormon" could win over a new audience, the audacious musical has laughed in the face of doubters and all the way to the bank. Yes, it's as jaw-droppingly funny and devilishly smart as you've heard. It's also just as mean and obscene, sweet and cuddly, with a bonanza of subversive comedy and brilliantly crafted musical numbers. If you find yourself unable to stop humming a song with particularly vulgar lyrics, then the creators of "The Book of Mormon" have done their jobs.

2 comments:

Emma Present said...

I couldn't agree more with all the glowing hype "Book of Mormon" is receiving. When I saw it at the Pantages in L.A. over Thanksgiving break, I was blown away and left the theatre grinning from ear to ear... and thinking. The show's fast-paced energy and no-hold-barred daring wit appeal to a much wider range of audience members than I would have anticipated, but it's just impossible not to fall in love with the adorably awkward Arnold Cunningham and the young, naive Nukulugi. The shows costumes were definitely entrancing, and the lighting was extraordinarily well done. I praise "Book of Mormon" highly and greatly encourage people to see it.

JamilaCobham said...

I saw the Book of Mormon last week when it was at the Benedum and I was very excited to see it, one because Grey was in it and also because of all of the mixed reviews that it has gotten. After the first 20 minutes of the show and the stereotypical African setting, characters and scene I was most upset and disturbed. Then I had to stop myself and remember who the creators were and what their vision was. I had to stop myself from feeling as though it was the most racist thing ever and remember that it just wasn't the black stereotype that was being represented, but the white and norman. After I slapped myself out of it, I must admit that I started enjoying myself and then I was completely captivated by intermission. The music and lyrics were good and funny and made the story so compelling and easy to follow. I also love the touring set and how it captured all of the different worlds/locations.

Some of the African accents weren't consistent. That was my biggest problem after my initial racist concern. Good show!