CMU School of Drama


Sunday, November 26, 2006

STOPPARD WONDERS

New York Post Online Edition: "Stoppard: 'Excuse me. Why are you leaving this play?'
Lincoln Center Theater subscriber (age, about 97): 'Who are you?'
Stoppard: 'I'm the playwright.'
Subscriber (fidgeting with infrared hearing device): 'We can't tell you!'
Stoppard: 'Please. I really want to know. Are you leaving because it's boring?'
Subscriber (crinkling a cough-drop wrapper): 'Well, yes.'
Stoppard: 'Why is it boring?'
Subscriber: 'Too much philosophy!'"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do have to admit, Stoppard has guts. No one likes to hear thier work is bad, but coming from a 97 year old bitter theater goer could be funny. I think that MTC should putthe rights to the name of the theater on ebay, or make it a reality show. Both options would create buzz, and it would not be defacing the art since there is already the American Airlines type theaters. I would not see Broadway is for Dummies..... that would creep me out.

Dana Hesch said...

i have to agree with the 97 year old. sometimes playwrights just try to put too much philosophy into things.

I hope that if Stoppard is going to ask people what they didn’t like about his show, he will use that criticism to make his plays better in the future.