CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Disneyland Revamps Problematic Jungle Cruise Ride

The Mary Sue: Parkgoers at Disneyland and Disneyworld have long criticized the popular Jungle Cruise ride for its racist and offensive depictions of Indigenous people. And now, nearly 66 years after Disneyland’s inaugural opening day in 1955, the legacy ride has finally been revamped. It’s been a long battle for Disney fans, as Jungle Cruise has been one of the park’s oldest and most enduring experiences. But the combination of culture shifts and a new movie inspired by the ride have pushed the park into the future.

1 comment:

Marion Mongello said...

It's really interesting reading this article in retrospect because I live in Disney World in case anybody forgot and I have also been on the Disneyland version of the previously problematic Jungle Cruise ride however the way that they updated it ahead of the movie premiere was quite genius I think that it is pleasing to all guests that the problematic seeds from The Jungle Cruise are removed promptly for the movies arrival in theaters and to buy and rent I think that the Legacy will still live on of the Jungle Cruise even with this change it is now probably been a year or two I can't remember that this ride has been changed and I truly think it is just fine I think that Disneyland is timeless It's progression throughout the years is special and I hope that it continues to put inclusivity and Equity first not only in its attractions but in its movies and cast members.