CMU School of Drama


Thursday, July 29, 2021

Disney Imagineers on the Creative Process and Behind the Attraction

collider.com: The Disney+ original series Behind the Attraction peels back the curtain to give a glimpse into the magic of Disney Parks, as it explores how Imagineers created, designed, and developed various theme park attractions around the world. Over the course of 10 episodes (five of which are available now, and the remaining five will be out later this year), viewers will get to learn about current and previous attractions, with archival and never-before-seen footage and photographs, and see how they’ve been refined over the years as new ideas arise and technology evolves.

1 comment:

Liberty Lapayowker said...

After my first tech crew experience, my visits to Disney were never the same. I couldn’t help paying more attention to how that object was lit and how they must have built that structure. This article has reminded me that fabricating imagination is always evolving into something new and (most of the time) better and that when taken into these other worlds, it is important to pay attention to the storyline. This has proven difficult to me not only for Disney attractions, but for watching theatre performances for pleasure. I cannot help but appreciate how that costume was made or how that transition happened so seamlessly. Of course I still pay attention to the storyline, but the journey I follow is definitely unique to my neighbor’s. One idea that I relate to with these Disney employees is that there is always excitement returning to the same place. For example, in the theatre industry, even though you may not be returning to the same space or the same cast, you are still going to have rehearsals, tech week, performances, etc. whose routine doesn’t change, but there is always an exciting new curveball.