CMU School of Drama


Friday, February 10, 2017

#68 Peter Nigrini

in 1: the podcast: This week’s guest is Projection Designer Peter Nigrini! Peter is currently represented on Broadway with ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ and he takes us through the process of creating over 4000 pieces of video content and how he blended reality with artistry in creating the social media pages that make up the bulk of the projected content. He and Cory also discuss how a projection designer prepares for tech, how to prepare a director for the process of working with projections, why where the projection tech table is located matters, and how he came to join the creative team of ‘If/Then’ as the show was reconceived for the National Tour.

1 comment:

Emily Lawrence said...

While I am not typically a big fan of media in a live theatre setting, I got the chance to see Dear Evan Hansen and it was absolutely beautiful. I struggle with media because often I am taken out of the moment rather than being pulled in even more. And while yes media is a fairly new thing in technical theatre, I do not think that every show needs it in every scene. I loved the media design for Dear Evan Hansen because it constantly moved my eyes to exactly where I needed to be. I do not think I would have seen the same show if the media was not present. It added to the whole environment that the audience and actors were supposed to be in so much. I have seen many shows where the media does not fit into the rest of the show at all, and so it feels like I am watching two shows at the same time. It becomes overwhelming and distracting very quickly. I do think that I am slightly biased towards this subject since I have mostly done lighting design, but I do think media can be beautiful when done tastefully.