CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 16, 2016

National Tour of FUN HOME To Re-Open San Francisco's Curran Theatre in Jan 2017 - More Cities Announced

Breaking Character: Producers Fox Theatricals (Kristin Caskey, Mike Isaacson) and Barbara Whitman are thrilled to announce that the National Tour of Fun Home, the groundbreaking and Tony Award-winning Best Musical, will re-open San Francisco’s iconic Curran Theatre, playing January 25 – February 19, 2017. The news was announced on Monday night by Carole Shorenstein Hays, live from the stage of the Curran, where the Tony-winning creative team appeared on-stage with Lieutenant Governor of California, Gavin Newsom, where they discussed details of the new national production of the musical.

2 comments:

Claire Farrokh said...

I am so glad that this show is going to be touring next year. I saw this show last summer, and I was blown away by how gorgeous it was. The story seamlessly jumps around the main character's life in a way that makes perfect sense. I saw the show with one of my best friends, who grew up as a lesbian in an extremely homophobic home, and it was incredible having a show that she could completely relate to. Lesbians are not represented as often or as openly as homosexual men, and I have always loved how Fun Home sheds more light on homosexual women, in addition to homosexual men. The show is both heartbreaking and inspiring. The score is very immersive and deeply thoughtful. My only concern is what may be lost from the show by it not being performed in the round, since I assume these touring venues will not be able to accomodate a show in the round. Regardless, I am sure it will be just as amazing.

Drew H said...

Fun Home really is a great show. I saw it a few months ago in New York and it is really not your typical musical. But I is a great piece of theater. I am excited that is becoming more accessible to audiences by going on tour. The most noticeable thing about Fun Home, for me, is the fact that it is in the round. Now, form looking at the venues it will be passing through I can easily detect that it will not stay in the round. I do not know how this will change the show, but I do know that being in the round was a great decision for this show. I am also really excited to see what the set becomes since a set in the round is obviously very different than a proscenium set. I hope people appreciate the show in the same way although it will be presented in a different way. I also am concerned that the show is not that well known. Although it won the best musical Tony, it has not really branched out past the theater world too much and I am curious to see how ticket sales are.