CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 16, 2016

‘My Fair Lady’ at 60: a perfect musical

Variety: The creation of any work of art is tricky. If everything meshes, it’s magic. But if one key element is off, it’s just an interesting experiment.

This week marks the 60th anniversary of “My Fair Lady,” which opened March 15, 1956, at Broadway’s Mark Hellinger. Theater lovers consider it one of the few perfect musicals, because every piece worked. And while nobody would question the talents of Rodgers & Hammerstein, Mary Martin, Cary Grant and Doris Day, it’s probably a good thing that they never became a part of “My Fair Lady,” though all of them were possibilities.

2 comments:

Kimberly McSweeney said...

My Fair Lady was the production my freshman year of high school and I distinctly remember seeing it twice because I loved it so much. The show itself is fun and exciting, filled with little quirks and scenes that are actually engaging and fun to watch. I also am a big fan of the music as it ranges from fun and cheery to delicate and beautiful – I am specifically remembering my high school’s servants choir and their lovely harmonies and melodies. And it’s also nice to see that the show is turning sixty and is still very well known – Bay Street Theatre is actually featuring it as the musical this summer season, and I am so excited to revisit the production after all these years. The scenery and props have such great potential to be elegant and beautiful and a real craftsmanship can be applied to the production. This is a great show and I’m happy to hear about its success.

Lauren Miller said...

I remember as a child having "My Fair Lady" on VHS. It was probably my first introduction to musicals. The melodies and soaring vocals in the film stay with me to this day. There is this almost tangible extravagance to the music, it's captivating. Enough about that. Before reading this article, I had no idea that "My Fair Lady" was so successful. It's amazing to think how popular it was back when it was written compared to today. Everyone is familiar with the music. Everyone knows the plot. It's amazing to think about how a musical has the potential to carry on long past it's closing night on Broadway. We, as an industry, create these temporary moments and sets that have the power to carry a message and inspire decades after they burn out. Imagine how today's popular musicals will be viewed. Will some little girl in the Midwest have a copy of "Hamilton" on DVD? In 60 years, will "Wicked" still be sung under people's breaths as they walk to class? A show is so small, so temporary, and yet it has so much power.