CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Theater Hall of Fame Inducts 8 New Members Tonight!

Breaking Character: Tonight marks the 2015 Theater Hall of Fame Ceremony, held at 7:30pm at Broadway’s Gershwin Theatre and hosted by Estelle Parsons. The ceremony will be followed by a late supper at The Palm.

This year’s inductees are playwright Tony Kushner, songwriting partners Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty, director Julie Taymor, director Robert Falls, actor Stacy Keach, lighting designer Ken Billington, Broadway publicist Merle Debuskey and, posthumously, actor Roger Rees.

1 comment:

Daniel S said...

I hate to admit it, but I did not know there was a Theater Hall of Fame. I know of other theater (and arts) related awards, but the Hall of Fame is not one of them. I can feel good that I recognize the names of all the inductees. It seems like a solid group of people with a large body of work. Having worked on the Kennedy Center Honors and Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, I know what goes into lifetime achievement awards such as these. Of all of the aspects of these awards, the part that surprised me the most was not the spectacle of the event, but rather the research that went into the background and upbringing of those being awarded. It seems that 5 major credits is not that many, but I don’t know exactly what counts as a major credit for these purposes. In that context, a lighting designer friend of mine has lit all of Mary Zimmerman’s shows…I wonder if he would qualify. Would those shows count as a major credit?