CMU School of Drama


Saturday, June 28, 2014

Sleep as a Competitive Advantage

The Energy Project: At 6 p.m. last Friday, I boarded a plane for Bangalore, India. At 1 p.m. Tuesday, I arrived back in New York after two days of meetings and traveling 34 hours across nine time zones. As you can imagine, I didn’t see much of Bangalore.
I’m not suggesting this model of travel for anyone, including me. The saving grace was that I experienced little jet lag in either direction. By contrast, many of the executives with whom I spent time in India were visibly exhausted when they arrived after their long flights, and probably even more so by the time they got home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sleep is needed I know if I don’t get it or much of it I will breakdown and just rude. Many people do challenge to get enough sleep when they are travelling place to place. I feel with this article it can teach people with this problem to control it or how to control it. I think it is weird that people do this and don’t plan accordingly. I think it is cool though that you can train your body after a while and it can gradually fall into a routine of sleeping. In the article a lot of people go to sleeping pills and caffeine to wake up or stay awake I think this is bad no matter how tired you are because eventually you will crash. I also think if you are going to change your routine of sleeping you have to do it slowly and safe so you don’t hurt yourself. I know this can help with travelling but I think without a certain amount of sleep it can seriously hurt you.

Lyla Bartman