CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 08, 2016

Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre flies again with 'Peter Pan' for rare two-week run

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: When Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre’s “Peter Pan” returns Friday to the Benedum Center for a rare two-week run, the title character will still be flying through the air with the greatest of ease and his trademark bravado.

But maybe it’s time to talk about the females who populate his adventures. In an art form that relies on the elegance and seeming delicacy of women, choreographer Jorden Morris has, in keeping with the current trend of revisionist storytelling that we find in Disney’s Mulan, Belle, Pocahontas and Alice, given his heroines a bold voice as well.

2 comments:

Javier Galarza-Garcia said...

Peter Pan was actually the first Broadway show I every watched and was also the first show I ever worked on in school, so it definitely has a special place in my heart. I am really excited to see the ballet version of Peter Pan at the Benedum. Having never experienced a solely dance adaptation of a show, I can't wait to see how it will amplify the story. I like that this article talks about how strong the female characters are going to be in this upcoming production. The fact that Wendy will be sword fighting is so great. As the article states, the older English story was very much revolved around the lost boys, pirates, and most of the male characters in the story. The importance of the female characters wasn't really examined. The fact that Peter Pan needs Tinker Bell, or that the lost boys need a Mother/Wendy, or how the Indians need Tiger Lilly Back. I feel it is going to be very interesting to see this new rendition and witness the enlightenment from this new take on characters and what they do.

Jake Poser said...

I love the ballet, and dance as an art form in general. I am so excited to see Peter Pan. It looks like a beautiful production with high production value.
There is so much glitter in the production. I cannot wait to see how they use it all.
I have always enjoyed the story of Peter Pan. There is so much action and excitement. Seeing it live on-stage brings it to a new level. Seeing people fly is always impressive. The combination of flying, and dance seems so interesting. I cannot wait to see a dancer leap into the air and be swept up twenty feet above the stage. It is truly magical.
I am also really excited by the sword fighting and choreography combination. Fighting is such a choreographed thing on stage, and I cannot wait to see it highlighted in a ballet. I hope that they will embrace that theatricality of it and not try to make it look "real." I am also excited that they will be featuring the strong women in this production through a sword fighting Wendy. Hopefully this will bring new and relevant light to this male centered classic story.