CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 01, 2016

Artists can't survive on thin air

Stage | The Guardian: On 28 January, the Scottish-based Greg Sinclair, whose work includes the award-winning Sonata for a Man and a Boy and I Do, I Do, won the Arts Foundation award for children’s theatre. Others on the shortlist included Rosie Heafford, whose show Grass is currently at the Unicorn; Steve Camden, better known as spoken-word artist Polarbear; and Liz Clark, a dancer turned theatre-maker makes tactile theatre for the under-fives, and whose show Sponge will tour this year. I confess an interest: I was on the selection panel that chose the shortlist from a longlist of artists nominated by industry experts.

1 comment:

Daniel S said...

This article touches on a lot of good points. While working for University of Toledo, I often found myself looking for the summer jobs that paid the most rather than the ones that would be the most rewarding. It is a shame that so many of us in theater have to take the jobs that we can get or the jobs that will allow us to pay the bills. Having no income at all at the moment brings other difficulties. On one hand, being a graduate student means loans and debt, and even with support from my parents, money is still tight. One the other hand, with new connections and experiences, I can apply for jobs that will offer better work, if not better pay. Being back in school with loans, as long as my bills get paid, I can focus on finding work that will yield more income in the long run and not on the immediate concerns.