CMU School of Drama


Sunday, September 27, 2015

NFTRW Weekly Top Five

Here are the top five comment generating posts of the past week:

How Educational Elitism Is Hurting Theatre

OnStage: We’re getting closer to the end of August, meaning that many students across the nation have just started – or are about to start – the Fall 2015 semester at the college or university that they currently attend. Personally, as I near the start of my last year of college, I am reminded of something that I’m sure many other college theatre students in America have faced at one point or another, and if they haven’t, probably will eventually. It is a problem that I believe is very unfortunate not just for us, but for the entire theatre community. Whenever I tell someone that I went to a local state university in Willimantic – as opposed to one of the larger and more well-known universities in the country – I get very similar reactions from various people. Sometimes it appears in the form of a “Well, why do you go there? Why not [insert school here]?” as if they believe that I am not as smart or talented as someone else might be, while in other cases it appears in the form of either a “Huh” or “Oh, okay” as they nod their heads, heavily indicating that they don’t think much of the college education I have received. In a few other cases, the reaction is merely complete silence.

Photo Students Capture Their Most Embarrassing Moments

The Creators Project: Dutch art director and curator Erik Kessels told a classroom of second-year photography students from Écal to embarrass themselves as creative practice. The workshop then exhibited these projects as a group show titled The Embarrassment as part of the Unseen Photo Fair in Amsterdam.

Is Hamlet fat? The evidence in Shakespeare for a corpulent prince of Denmark.

www.slate.com:...what if our mental image of Hamlet is wrong? What if the grieving, vengeful prince is actually fat? Just because you’ve never considered the possibility doesn’t mean that Shakespeare scholars haven’t argued about it, just one front in a centuries-old debate about how you determine meaning in Shakespeare’s plays.
 

See How Daenerys' Dragons Come to Life in Game of Thrones' Emmy-Winning VFX

io9.com: I don’t know what’s more impressive: The sheer number of layers that go into every aspect of the dragon’s flesh, the many insane apparatuses that the show constructs to give Emilia Clarke something to act against, or all the little details, like the subtle gore dripping from the dragons’ mouths after they feed.

The Trouble with Tablets

Occupational Health & Safety: As the methods of communication have evolved, humans have always struggled to stay upright. From the beginning, putting a pen to paper on a typical desktop involved hunching forward and dropping the head to view the writing area.

2 comments:

Daniel S said...

I find some of what this article says suspect. By the description of some of the ways in which tablets are held, they are no different from how people hold books. Yet the article does not mention. In addition, the article doesn’t seem to address the issue of time. In my experience, when people are using tablets to type or read in positions suggested by the article, it is in shorter lengths of time. While extended periods of time might cause harm to the body, can’t that be said of most activities and/or positions? Ergonomics are indeed important; that’s why people use certain mice keyboards, chairs and the like. I think the best way to not succumb to the side effects of poor ergonomics and posture is moderation. Taking a break every so often is good for you.

Unknown said...

This is information that I point out to my friends all the time. I don't own an tablet nor do I like using one, so when I see others using them I just laugh. My biggest pet peeve about tablets and other technology is the strain that it puts on our bodies. The longer we look at these screens the more pain we feel in our back, shoulders, and neck. I know when I'm in my apartment and it's a late night I seem to experience the body aches and pains that I cannot get rid of until I go to sleep. Also, the lack of sleep that the technology can cause is very painful to endure. Just looking at my phone and doing research before I go to bed can cause me to get to bed 2 hours late then I wanted and I'll wake up very tense. Usually my back suffers the most pain from technology or anything I need to hunch down to do.