CMU School of Drama


Saturday, September 13, 2014

Auerbach Pollock Friedlander Wins TEA Award for Michael Jackson ONE

Lighting&Sound America Online - News: The Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) has awarded Auerbach Pollock Friedlander and the design team for the Michael Jackson ONE Cirque du Soleil Theatre, a 2014 TEA Award for Outstanding Achievement. The TEA Awards are in their 20th year and reward excellence for the creation of "compelling, educational, historical, and entertainment projects."

2 comments:

simone.zwaren said...

When I first heard about this show it was right after they had come out with the Beatles show that got pretty terrible ratings from what I saw and I had not heard of anyone actually having seen it or anyone that would. The Michael Jackson, one however seemed like it would have more promise, in the least because his music is generally far more upbeat. Pop is a much more "dancey" genre then the older classic rock. I would love to see more of the media integration in the show because media and dance/movement pieces seem to be a very hot combination right now. By the sound of it from the article and the picture, the space was transformed into a Pop Concert look which is think is an intriguing design for a Cirque show. The combination of the different styles of entertainment is always an artistic challenge which is again why it would be cool if there was a more extensive article on it. I shall look it up now.

Unknown said...

I happen to have seen one of the other themed tribute shows Cirque has put together, LOVE (The Beatles), and I can say I wasn't really impressed overall. It simply just didn't have the finesse of a regular Cirque show. I have heard better things however about this new Michael Jackson tribute show, and imagine the music in general to be more along the lines of the Cirque style overall. The scenery looks amazing, I wouldn't expect anything less from them. They have put together revolutionary sets time and time again, and I can't wait to see whats next.