CMU School of Drama


Sunday, April 21, 2013

Live Sound: Most Importantly, Qualified: A Conversion From Punk To Useful Human Being

Pro Sound Web: Back when I knew everything, I dragged an obscenely heavy rig up an intolerably tall mountain in a woefully underpowered truck to an impossibly small theater in the backwoods of northern Pennsylvania. Since this was when I knew everything, I had the somewhat surly local crew stack my compact TMS 3s two wide, four high, with the 15s coupled for maximum bass energy. Because stacking that box four high without a fork was sort of like pushing a dump truck up a hill with the brakes on, some of my help that day were engaging in a spirited debate regarding my experience level and the wisdom of my stacking choice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's good to know that even the greats go through phases of needing to be humbled. Because our program is what it is, I think it must be very easy for us to graduate at 22 and "know everything." However, I'm really glad that the opportunity to be humbled will always be a possibility. I imagine that yes, the sense of entitlement that comes from "being the best" and working a Frankie Valli concert when I'm 22 is probably pretty great, but wow, how boring must it be to "know everything." I can only hope (and probably expect) that there are always going to be people who will gladly take me under their wing, without ever blatantly telling me what a naive little child I am, and teach me things that I could only ever learn on the job. better yet, I can't wait to be the one who gets to take other people under their wing, and still be able to admit that no, I really don't know everything, nor could I ever.

Ariel Beach-Westmoreland said...

Having both been in an assistant position, as well as being in charge of other people, It's interesting to reflect on how I viewed those above me. The quiet knowledge comes to mind - but the important balance to that demure approach is communicating problems. Making sure that those under you feel included, and understand the issues that both you are dealing with and that one's assistant may have created are key.

It can be easy to not address mistakes, but the ability to confront issues and make the person feel empowered is extremely impressive.