CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 23, 2013

BNJMN Is a Brilliant Autonomous Art Robot (He Even Signs His Work) -

ANIMAL: BNJMN’s work is minimal and meditative–a bit like Franz Kline without all the drama, or RETNA’s deconstructed letterforms. In the below mini-documentary, one observer describes the painter’s oeuvre as “[provoking] a lot of emotions–sometimes it’s anger, sometimes it’s happiness or calmness.” “[He is] an artist in control of himself but not of the art that [passes] through him,” muses another academic in the documentary. “Which [makes] him very dramatic.”

2 comments:

E Young Choi said...

Before I saw this video, I feel like I expected too much from the robot because I was thinking of it drawing a masterpiece like a photo. However, I think this process is quite stunning and interesting too. I was very surprised to see how this work was not preprogrammed with an image, but rather it drew with its own being. The most amazing thing that I found in this robot is how two arms are moving separately. I just thought it was so cool how it resembles human's two arms when human can not really draw with both arms. Also, signing a signature seemed interesting too. Every time I see these kinds of robots (I saw a robot that can separate an Oreo few months ago), I feel how much a technology accomplish. I wish that this robot can be developed in more sophisticated way and be tried to draw whatever it feels like to.

Unknown said...

BNJMN is a pretty rad bot. But I honestly thought at first that BNJMN was the creator's monicure. I think that this it a really interesting project that Wanner and Purrington developed. Giving the bot the ability to 'create' while still maintaining control is an interesting approach, if only I had the enough time and know-how to pursue a project like this for the arduino project I may have to tackle in the future. But it certainly gives me some ideas...